DescriptionCelebrate spring with this creamy risotto infused with the fresh flavors of asparagus and white wine. Serve it up as beautful centerpiece for a vegetarian meal or as a side dish with chicken or fish.
4 as a main course; 6-8 as a side dish
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 1/2 ounces Veggie-Stock Gold®
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Cut the asparagus into 1-inch pieces, reserving the tips. Place 1 cup of the stem pieces and 1 cup of the diluted Veggie-Stock Gold® in a blender and purée until smooth. Combine the purée and the remaining stock in a medium saucepan and bring the mixture to a simmer (do not boil). Keep it warm over a low heat.
- Warm the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion to the pan and sauté until soft and translucent, 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the wine, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed. Add ½ cup of the hot stock mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed. Add the remaining stock mixture, ½ cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of stock is absorbed before adding the next.
- Stir in the remaining asparagus and cook for another few minutes, until the asparagus is bright green and crisp-tender.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and cream, then season the risotto to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately and pass a small bowl of grated Parmesan at the table.
Wine Pairing: Chablis, Gruner Veltliner, or a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.