Black Bean Soup
DescriptionSpiced with cumin and flavored with tomatoes and zesty green chiles, this black bean soup is sure to become a family favorite.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup peeled diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chiles (or use a can of plain diced tomatoes and add a small, 4-ounce can of green chiles)
- 3 cans (15 1/2 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 ounces Fond de Poulet Gold® or 1 1/2 ounces Glace de Poulet Gold® dissolved in 3 2/3 cups water
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Sour cream for garnish
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and cumin amd cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, another minute.
- Stir in the black beans, tomatoes and chiles, and dissolved Fond de Poulet Gold® or Glace de Poulet Gold®. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook, uncovered, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Purée it in small batches in a blender (or use a hand blender). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve the soup garnished with sour cream and cilantro.