Braised Spring Vegetables
DescriptionWelcome spring with this mosaic of bright green, crisp tender vegetables and savory mushrooms accented with mint. Serve it as a side dish for roast chicken or lamb, or as a vegetarian main dish over buttered noodles or polenta.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch green onions, white and pale green parts, sliced
- 1 bunch (about 1 pound) asparagus, trimmed and cut in 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 12 ounces mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons Veggie-Stock Gold® dissolved in 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons (packed) fresh mint leaves, torn or roughly chopped
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Melt the butter in a wide pan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until the onion is very soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and green onions and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the asparagus, mushrooms, and snap peas, and sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Add the diluted Veggie-Stock Gold®, bring the liquid to a low simmer, cover the pan, and simmer for 3 minutes, until the asparagus and snap peas are crisp tender.
- Add the green peas and mint, replace the lid on the pan, and cook another 2 minutes.
- Season to taste with more salt and pepper and serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.