Chef Mick's Grilled Game Steaks with Berry Sauce
DescriptionThanks to Chef Michaelangelo (Mick) Rosacci of Tony's Market in Denver for this luscious sauce recipe that makes the perfect accent for bison, venison, or elk steaks hot off the grill. Chef Mick recommends trying the sauce with grilled game burgers, as well.
- 6 bison, elk or venison steaks (or ground meat patties)
- Olive oil
- Seasoning blend of your choice
- 1 container (11 ounces) More Than Gourmet Red Wine Sauce
- 3/4 to 1 cup fresh blackberries, raspberries, blueberries or cherries (pitted)
- 1-2 tablespoons blueberry, blackberry, lingonberry or currant preserves
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- While grill heats, rub the steaks with olive oil and season them to taste with the seasoning blend. Grill the steaks over a medium-hot flame to rare or medium rare (approximately 9-15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, combine the More Than Gourmet Red Wine Sauce and the berries in a saucepan, bring to a simmer, and cook to break down the berries slightly and blend their flavors with the sauce. Add the fruit preserves to taste and simmer the sauce for another minute; season with salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat and swirl in the butter. Serve the steaks with sauce ladled over them.
Wine Pairing: Syrah/Shiraz or Zinfandel.