Cream of Broccoli Soup
DescriptionA comfort food classic smoothed with cream and topped with sharp Cheddar.
- 1/2 pound broccoli crowns
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced peeled carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 1/2 ounces Veggie-Stock Gold® dissolved in 4 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Trim the broccoli and cut it into florets; set aside. Cut the remaining broccoli stems into 1/2-inch slices.
- Melt the butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the broccoli stems and the onion, carrots, and celery. Cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the dissolved Veggie-Stock Gold® and the thyme and bring the soup to a boil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and water until smooth, and then whisk it into the soup. Return the soup to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Purée the soup carefully in the pan with a handheld blender until smooth. Whisk in the cream. Add the broccoli florets, return the pan to the heat, and simmer on low for 10 minutes, until the florets are tender. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper, and ladle it into warmed bowls. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.