Herbed Stuffing with Mushrooms
DescriptionSavory browned mushrooms and the scent of fresh and dried herbs make this stuffing one to remember. Save some--if you can--to enjoy with a little leftover gravy!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound sliced brown or cremini mushrooms
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 ounces Glace de Volaille Gold® (or Glace de Poulet Gold®) dissolved in 4 cups hot water
- 1 pound unseasoned stuffing croutons
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, cored (not peeled), and grated
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a braising pan over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes, until the moisture released by the mushrooms is reduced and the mushrooms have started to brown.
- Add the celery and onion and cook, stirring 5 minutes. Add the dried herbs and garlic and cook for a minute more. Stir in the butter and diluted Glace de Volaille Gold® and bring the mixuture to a simmer. Turn off the heat.
- Combine the croutons and apple, then gradually add them to the mixture in the braising pan, stirring gently. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in the parsley. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and bake on the center rack of the oven 30-35 minutes, or until the stuffing is nicely browned and cooked through.