Italian Turkey and Spinach Meatball Soup
DescriptionNeed a great dish for a crowd? Try this hearty soup with savory meatballs, pasta shells, and vegetables in a savory broth topped with crisp croutons and Parmesan cheese.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cup Italian-style dry breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups peeled and diced carrots
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 cup diced onions
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Italian herb blend seasoning
- 3 (32-ounce) cartons More Than Gourmet Ready-to-Use Chicken Stock (or 2 1/4 ounces Fond de Poulet Gold® dissloved in 3 quarts hot water)
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 ounces pasta shells
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Croutons for garnish
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, for garnish
- In a mixing bowl, combine the turkey, spinach, and breadcrumbs. Roll the mixture into small meatballs (about 1-inch diameter) and set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, melt the butter with the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and cook for 5 minutes. Add the celery, cook for an additional 5 minutes, and then add the onions and cook until the onions are slightly tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Add the mushrooms and Italian seasoning to the vegetables, and cook until the mushrooms start to brown.
- Stir in the chicken broth and bay leaves and allow the soup to come to a simmer. Add the meatballs and cook over low heat for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add the pasta to the soup and simmer for an additional 20 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked al dente.
- Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper, remove the bay leaves, and serve the soup topped with croutons and cheese.