DescriptionThe deep, savory mushroom flavor of this gravy beautifully complements potatoes, noodles, roasted vegetables, and roasted meats and poultry.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 pound mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons flour or rice flour
- 1 1/2 ounces Essence de Champignon Gold® dissolved in 4 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the mushrooms, shallots, and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until the mushroom juices have evaporated and the mushrooms are browning, about 10 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan, and after it melts, stir in the flour and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add the diluted Essence de Champignon Gold®, whisking constantly. Whisk in the wine, and then add the reserved mushroom-shallot mixture. Bring the gravy to a simmer and cook for another 10 minutes, or until it reaches the desired consistency. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
To make this gravy gluten-free, just substitute rice flour for the all-purpose (wheat) flour.