Pasta with Summer Squash and Tomatoes
DescriptionA terrifically simple summer dish--sauté some fresh veggies, add our Veggie-Glace Gold, fresh herbs, and a little butter, and toss with warm pasta. Delicious!
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 (about 20 ounces total) yellow squash, trimmed and cut in 1/2-inch dice
- 4 (about 20 ounces total) zucchini, trimmed and cut in 1/2-inch dice
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 large (about 1 pound total) onions, diced
- 12 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 2 pints grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh oregano or basil leaves
- 3/4 ounce Veggie-Stock Gold® dissolved in 2 cups hot water
- 2 pounds medium-size pasta such as penne, cooked al dente and kept warm
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large braising pan over medium heat. Add the yellow squash and zucchini and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until the squash softens. Remove it from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low, and add the onions, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes, until the onions and garlic are soft but not browned.
- Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until the tomatoes are tender.
- Add the butter and the reserved squash mixture to pan. Cook, stirring, 1 minute, to melt the butter. Add the oregano and the diluted Veggie-Stock Gold® and cook, stirring, 2 minutes to heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss the warm pasta with the sauce. Serve sprinkled with grated Parmesan.