Quick Hoppin' John
DescriptionPut together this traditional Southern favorite in less than an hour by using canned black-eyed peas. Smoky bacon and a little kick from jalapeno, along with our savory Roasted Chicken Stock, make it a tasty side dish--toss in some chunks of browned smoked sausage to make it a meal.
- 3 thick slices bacon, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 teaspon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 3/4 ounce Glace de Poulet Gold® dissolved in 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 2 cans (15 1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Cook the bacon in a 3- to 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring, until just crisp.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions, thyme, and jalapeno. Cook, stirring, about 2 minutes. Stir in the diluted Glace de Poulet Gold® and rice; cover and simmer about 15 minutes, until the rice is tender.
- Stir in the black-eyed peas, and cook, covered, about 5 minutes, until warmed through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.