Simply Perfect Turkey Gravy
DescriptionServing smoked, grilled or deep-fried turkey this year? No slowly roasting bird with vegetables strewn about in the pan to help make the perfect gravy? No problem! Try our super easy method and you'll never worry about gravy again. You can even make it days ahead of time. The secret: our savory turkey stock and vegetables cooked to caramel perfection in our Graisse de Canard.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Graisse de Canard Gold®
- 4 1/2 cups mixed coarsely diced carrots, celery and onion
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 ounces Glace de Volaille Gold® dissolved in 4 cups hot water
- 2 medium sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the duck fat in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Sauté the vegetables until richly browned and soft, about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour in the wine, turn the heat to high and cook until the liquid has almost completely evaporated, stirring up all the browned cooking bits.
- Meanwhile, combine the stock, parsley and thyme in a saucepan and simmer while the vegetables cook.
- Purée the softened vegetables along with 1 cup of the stock in an electric blender until smooth.
- Remove the herbs from the stock (or strain if using dried thyme) and stir in the purée.
- In a clean saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring continuously, until it turns a rich, nutty brown. Turn off the heat and whisk in the stock until smooth, taking care to scrape the bottom and corners well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the chopped parsley and serve.
- By the way, if you want gravy for beef, veal, pork, venison, lamb, duck, or chicken, this same method works like a charm. For beef, substitute our Glace de Viande Gold® for the roasted turkey stock; for veal use our Glace de Veau Gold®; for pork or chicken use our Glace de Poulet Gold®; for venison use our Glace de Gibier Gold®; for lamb use our Glace d' Agneau Gold®; for duck use our Glace de Canard Gold®.
- To make a great vegetarian gravy, use our Veggie-Stock Gold® and substitute 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil or butter for the duck fat.
- To make a tasty gluten-free gravy, substitute and equal amount of rice flour for the wheat flour.