Slow-Cooked Chicken with Baby Potatoes
DescriptionA great one-dish meal: chicken, potatoes, mushrooms, escarole, and roasted red peppers simmered in a savory mixture of white wine and our Ready-to-Use Chicken Stock, with a whiff of tarragon.
- 1 small chicken (about 3 pounds), cut into 6 pieces (legs, thighs, and breasts without backbones)
- All-purpose flour for coating
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups More Than Gourmet Ready-To-Use Chicken Stock (or use 3/4 ounce Fond de Poulet Gold® dissolved in 2 cups hot water)
- 3/4 pound baby red potatoes, left whole
- 1/2 pound escarole, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 commercially prepared roasted red peppers, diced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Juice of one lemon (2-3 tablespoons)
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Coat the chicken with flour and pat off the excess. Heat the oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and brown lightly on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and transfer it to a 6- to 8-quart slow cooker.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon of oil from the skillet. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the 3 tablespoons of flour. Add the wine and chicken stock and bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring until it thickens.
- Add the potatoes to the chicken in the slow cooker, and pour the wine-stock mixture over chicken and potatoes. Cover and cook for 3 to 3 1/2 hours on high or 6 to 6 1/2 hours on low.
- Adjust the cooker to high and add the escarole. Move the chicken pieces to the top, cover, and cook about 45 minutes more, or until the escarole is tender.
- Stir in the tarragon, peppers, and capers. Add the lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.