Steamed Mussels with Chile & Lemongrass
DescriptionThis fusion of flavors from around the world is tantalizing. Serve with crusty French bread to soak up every last drop of sauce.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed, center portion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 Thai chile or 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 pound mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 1/2 ounces Glace de Fruits de Mer Gold® dissolved in 1 cup hot water
- 3 large sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until it is just wilted, then stir in the lemongrass, garlic, and chile and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the mussels, wine, diluted Glace de Fruits de Mer Gold®, and parsley. Cover the pan and cook just until mussels open, checking frequently after 4 minutes and transferring opened mussels to a large bowl using a slotted spoon. (Discard any unopened mussels after 8 minutes.)
- Strain the cooking liquid by pouring it over the mussels through a fine-mesh sieve. Squeeze on the lemon juice, season with salt and pepper, stir, and serve.
Wine Pairing: Sauvignon Blanc.