Yukon Gold Garlic Smashed Potatoes
DescriptionChunky-smooth smashed potatoes add old-fashioned comfort to any meal. We've taken a somewhat modern approach by using Yukon Gold potatoes (or red bliss) and combining them with roasted garlic, Veggie-Glace Gold, some milk, and a minimum of butter. What's missing? A lot of fat and calories, but none of the taste and pleasure. Use this same method for other vegetables like turnips and cauliflower.
- 1 large head garlic, about 1/2 inch sliced off the top (stem end)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold or red bliss potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1- to 2-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 ounces Veggie-Glace Gold®
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup milk, heated
- 1 to 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Brush the garlic with the olive oil, wrap it in aluminum foil, and roast it until it is tender, about 60 minutes. Remove the garlic from the oven and squeeze out the roasted cloves into a small bowl, mashing them with a fork until smooth.
- Cover the potatoes with cold water, bring to a boil, and cook until they are completely tender. When the potatoes are almost done cooking, combine the mashed garlic with the Veggie-Glace Gold® and milk in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir to dissolve the glace, and heat until the mixture is hot.
- Drain the potatoes, add garlic-stock-milk mixture, and mash until the potatoes are somewhat smooth. Add the butter, salt and pepper to taste, and and stir until well blended.